Sunday, December 03, 2006

Tips from a Tired Fat Lady

Every now and then, people would ask me how I manage to be confident despite my large size. I would tell them that basically, I couldn't care less if you think I'm fat. I mean, you wouldn't care less if I think you are a non-sensical mushy person, right? (Oh, wait...do you?)

It never fails. And I begin to wonder, does being fat means you can't be confident with yourself? Does being fat means you should go strive to be invisible (which is a rather hard thing to do, obviously) and wallow on self-pity instead?

No.

And so I came up with various answers, or you can call them tips on how to survive the cruel reality of the mundane society we are unfortunately in today.

Here are my Top 3:

3. Buy and Wear the right clothes for you.
Reality: Fat girls experience the most painful shopping for clothes in all of humanity. Even pampered pets can get their ideal costumes in just minutes (but that is if you have the money to buy them, and if you are thick enough to buy your pets clothes that they won't ever appreciate anyway). But chubbies do not have that kind of luxury. We can't afford to, unless we want to make a fool of ourselves trying to fit in to clothes half our size, which ladies, I want you to swear NOT to do.
Truth: Most, if not all, of the shops sell clothes in sizes as if they think no one could possibly have a 30 waistline.
So if you really want to look pleasant, if not good, try and make room for finding clothes that fit you nicely.
Surely, you don't need to be a kikay fashion guru to look in the mirror and decide if you look dumb.

2. It's all about Diversionary Tactics my dears.
I learned this during my early high school years. If you don't like some parts of your physical self like your body, try to hide them by emphasizing the part which you like best. Your face, perhaps.
Put some make-up on. Invest on your face, but don't forget about everything else either. Again, have a good eye for spotting what would accentuate your good qualities. But DON'T go over-the-top. We have learned the awful truth that too much of anything is not good for anyone.
Now, if you don't think that you have anything in you that is worth emphasizing, I suggest you work hard to earn huge amount of money. And then go and look for a good psychiatrist because you need it, trust me. Or you can just look for a sympathetic ear and understanding friend, it's the cheapest therapy.

(drumroll...)

1. Psych-up!
When I say psych-up, I don't mean to go literally to a psychiatrist. Look at yourself, talk to yourself. There's no use in wallowing in pity and wishing desperately to look like the starved anorexics you see on TV and on the pages of the magazines. They are just about 5% of the population of the whole world. Look around you, everbody is as imperfect as you are. There's no use crying over something all of us are experiencing anyway. No Use.
So what if they are thinner than you? So what if they have 25 waistlines? So what if you are double them?
Does that mean they're smarter than you? Does that mean they're kinder than you? Does that mean they're better than you?

No.

When it comes to that, all is fair game. It's how you would carry yourself in this world that would make a difference. It's how you would treat others with respect no matter what they look like. It's just how you would live your life.


So, do you still wonder how I manage to be confident despite my 30 inch waistline?



2 Comments:

At Monday, December 11, 2006 2:41:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

mamtay ka nang spammer ka! d ka namn talaga nagkokoment! grr.panggap!
mars, tsaka nako magkokoment.
=) usc meeting muna. hihi

 
At Tuesday, December 12, 2006 10:39:00 PM, Blogger silangan said...

galing galing naman ni mars

 

Post a Comment

<< Home